I found this at the thrift store for $4. It was being used to hold a lamp but it looked like a doll bunk bed to me. I left it there as it was quite rickety but, after telling Miss E about it, we decided to go back and get it if it was still there. Miss E has two American Girl dolls and I thought they would fit perfectly.
I added some glue and more nails to hold it firm. To be honest, I just did a fairly basic patch job - this isn't and won't be an heirloom piece by any stretch of the imagination. I gave it a quick sand and primed it.
Here it is painted. I was quite surprised E picked pink for it - she is not a girly girl at all so I was really expecting orange or green but there you go. Glad I was right, the dolls do fit perfectly!
Now I just have to make some coordinating bedding - the fun part! A little mattress, a pillow and a patchwork quilt for each bunk (which I have decided will be my introduction to quilting - I have always wanted to try it). I was going to do sheets as well but the beds are so shallow I think it will look fine with just a pretty mattress.
Then it will be on to the next thrift store makeover. I found this plane shelf for a couple of dollars which will be perfect for A's room. He is mad for planes.