Friday, October 23, 2009

Covered bulldog clip tutorial

Well, I kept going (see previous post) and now I have this.  I have been rounding up every clip in my house.  I need to buy more.



(sometimes blogger flips my pictures sideways - so annoying!!)

Here is a quick tutorial on how to do it.




1. Measure your bulldog clip (I used a ruler for the width and then just wrapped a small piece of paper around it to give me the length - I did this to make a template for each size) and cut out your decorative paper.

2. Apply Mod Podge to the reverse side and place your paper on to the clip.  You have a little bit of time to adjust it to get it even before the Mod Podge dries but you need to be reasonably quick.

3. Check to make sure you have the paper firmly in the little dent on the bottom and following the curves nicely.

4. Apply a coat of Mod Podge on the outside to seal it.

5. Let dry for about 15 mins (I balance them on a ruler that I lean on something so they don't touch anything else to stick to) Do a second coat.

6. Let dry thoroughly and enjoy your handiwork!

Here are a few tips if you decide to make some:

1. Make a template for each size so you can cut them all out at once to save time.
2. I found that each clip had a slightly different size so I cut out all the templates and then just snipped off a little bit here and there for each one once I checked their paper 'on for size'.  This really didn't take long and made for a snug fit for each one.
3. Use a thin'ish paper - they work better than the thicker scrapbooking paper.  If you do want to use the thicker one (and I did) you just need to hold the paper on while the mod podge really grabs so that it sticks snugly around the curves.  Luckily that doesn't take very long.
4. Don't scrimp on your second coat of mod podge on the outside - the extra coat will provide some durability during use.
5. I wanted to use some of the papers I had designed (see my free printables section) also but the mod podge smudged the print because my paper comes out of an inkjet printer.  Same for some of the kids spare artwork.  I am going to try a spray on varnish instead and will see how that works.  I will let you know.

3 comments:

  1. These are so cute!! Thanks for the easy instructions, I need to make some of these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I've linked this tutorial to my blog. Thanks for sharing.
    You have a lovely blog :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails